In 1969, the Jewish community of Gorizia was incorporated into that of Trieste and in 1978 this combined community donated the synagogue to the City of Gorizia to have it restored and devoted to cultural activities. The synagogue was renovated and reopened in 1984. It is now a venue for concerts and festivals.
The courtyard features an iron Menorah, donated by sculptor Simon Benetton in 1991, and a 1950 inscription commemorating the Jewish people deported from Gorizia on 23 November 1943.
In November 2016, a further sculpture entitled "Memory" by Gianpietro Carlesso was inaugurated in the synagogue's entrance courtyard.
Gianpietro Carlesso, "Memory", Gorizia, courtyard of the synagogue
© Courtesy of Archivio Carlesso